Monday, May 4, 2009

Seminar Expert & Keynote Speaker Suggests Taking This Zen Test: Can You Wait?

I have this lingering summer cold, complete with a hacking cough that has overstayed its welcome by at least a week.

Soon enough, I’ll be back at 80% or whatever my typical efficiency rating is, so there’s no need for self-pity.

When we get sick of being sick, generally, it’s a good sign. We have whatever is tormenting us on the run, and we’re ready to make a comeback, so overall, my spirits are improving.

But there is a point between illness and health, a forbidden zone, in which we shouldn’t bother trying to get any serious or subtle work done, because we’ll probably do more harm than good.

For example, I just dispatched an email declining an invitation to network tonight at a trade association mixer. I think my note may have sounded a little terse, uptight. I know for a fact it wasn’t all that friendly, and certainly not chatty.

Why did I send it? The mixer is TONIGHT, so I waited, as it was, and not replying would have been even ruder.

But now, I have two serious business building relationships that I should attend to.

Because my voice is a little froggy and I’m coughing, I don’t want to use the phone. But if I opt for email, again, I’ll probably come across brusquely, and that’s not my intention.

So, what to do?

Sometimes WAITING is the best thing, though I’m itching to accomplish something, having sacrificed lots of hours over the last three weeks to this cold. But if I rush into action, I know I’ll misspeak and regret having done it.

This is where Zen and business instincts either converge or diverge, depending on your viewpoint. Practitioners of Zen and readers of the Tao have heard the ancient probative question:

CAN YOU WAIT UNTIL YOUR MUD SETTLES?

Put silt into a glass and stir it with a spoon and you’ll see what this aphorism means. If you wait a proper amount of time, the top portion of the glass will clear up and you’ll be able to see exactly where you’re going.

If I wait, I’ll have the energy and voice to use the phone, a tool that both of my prospects prefer, judging from their behaviors, and one that also gives me certain advantages.

If I rush, I’ll have to settle for email.

Is there a “middle way?” you might wonder.

There is. I can email both of them and suggest having a phone chat a few days from now.

This way, I can “act,” and demonstrate continuing interest in building relationships.

But I won’t overdo it, running the risk that fatigue or my cold will “do the talking” and ruin what was nearly ripe.

Doing what you can, when you can; no more and no less, is helped along immensely by waiting.

Dr. Gary S. Goodman is the best-selling author of 12 books, over 600 articles, and numerous audio and video training programs, including "The Law of Large Numbers: How To Make Success Inevitable," published by Nightingale-Conant, and a favorite with salespeople and entrepreneurs. President of Customersatisfaction.com and The Goodman Organization, Gary's seminars and speeches are sponsored and hosted by organizations, worldwide. To ask Gary to speak before your next convention or sales meeting, please send your inquiry to: gary@customersatisfaction.com.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Dr._Gary_S._Goodman

No comments:

Post a Comment